Earl's Palace in Kirkwall is owned by Historic Scotland and is open to visitors for a small entrance charge. The ruins of the Earl's Palace lie close to the centre of Kirkwall and is near St. Magnus Cathedral and the Bishop's Palace. The building of the Earl's Palace was started in 1607 and in 1688 the Palace became the property of the Crown, the property fell into ruin in the 18th century. The ruins still have much of their original French-influenced Renaissance elegance with turrets and decorations carved in the stonework.
The Earl's Palace in Kirkwall.